Mental Health Crisis Help

Community Mental Health offers walk in or call crisis 24 Hours a Day (Walk-in services are for those in immediate crisis and cannot wait for an appointment). Contact Us to get directions to the CMH Building. Crisis services provides crisis intervention, assessment, and screening for voluntary and involuntary psychiatric hospitalization.
Toll Free: 800.372.8460
Local: 517.346.8460
TTY: 517.267.7623
Mental Health Crisis

All persons who receive mental health and/or substance use services have protected rights that are defined in the Michigan Mental Health Code. These rights are the rights for any Michigan Citizen. The Mental Health Code ensures that all Community Mental Health Organizations have an office of Recipient Rights where a complaint can be filed and investigated when someone believes that a consumer's rights have been violated.

When someone has a complaint, the complaint will be reviewed to determine if the issue is about a right (rights complaint) about services that are being received or have been denied, suspended, or terminated, (an appeal) or about another concern that is not a rights issue or a service issue (a grievance). This will ensure that the concern is directed to the correct department/person for review.

When a complaint or concern is about a protected right, it is referred to the Rights Office which is located in Suite B at 838 Louisa Street in Lansing, Michigan.

The Rights Office is open between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM Monday through Friday excluding holidays. To talk to someone in the Rights Office call (517) 346-8249 or toll-free 1-877-333-8933 and ask to be transferred to Recipient Rights. If you do not reach someone, please leave a message and your call will be returned no later than the end of the next business day

If you have questions about your rights when receiving mental health or substance use services in Michigan, please review the booklet "Your Rights When Receiving Mental Health Services in Michigan". A copy of the booklet may be viewed and printed by following the link at the right.

If you believe that you or someone you know may have had your/ his/her rights violated you may file a recipient rights complaint. To file a rights complaint, print a copy of the complaint form and fill it out with your contact information and an explanation of what happened.  A copy of the complaint form may be viewed and printed by following the link at the right

You may mail, fax, or drop the form off at CMHA-CEI.

What can you expect after you file a rights complaint?
A letter to let you know that we received your complaint will be mailed to you within five business days from the date that we received the complaint and what will happen. The letter will let you know what will happen with your complaint.

When the rights office does an investigation about a possible rights violation the rights officer will talk with the person who filed the complaint, the person whose rights might have been violated and anyone else who might have information about the violation. The Rights Officer will also look at the clinical record.

Within 90 days the investigation will be completed and the complainant (person who filed the complaint) and the person whose rights might have been violated (if different than the person who filed the complaint) will receive a letter with information on the outcome of the investigation.

^ Back to Top